By Aliya Leigh

By Aliya Leigh
http://www.aliyaleigh.com
Twitter: @aliyaleigh
ELEVEN

Uncle Merlin close the Big Book and sat in silence. He was unmovable and depress. He head was hung low as if he cause the curse on the family. Yes, we were cursed. A demon made us. A demon needed to prove to God who was boss and fail. I knew, my great grandfather could not be trusted, even God himself casted him out of heaven. I would not be surprised if Galvin was The One.

Great grandfather Galvin was a bit of a character with different appearances and looks, but we knew it was him by his manners. Galvin had this grace about him, light on his feet, quick with movement, lust for life and knowledge, and had a female persona. In a way, he acted like a gay flamboyant man, without a body to call home. Galvin was BEAUTIFUL. A man who acted like a high fashion conscience King with servants he could split on and a flare that was intoxicating; which made him into something bigger and better then life itself. But, one thing I can say about my great grandfather was, he always looked after his children and protected them. I loved him. We all did.

Galvin was so important to me in my life. I loved him like a holy father, like God. We were all taught to pray to him and we did, as I said, he was our God; our maker; our supreme being.

He watched over us and listened to our prayers. He solved our problems and gave us advice in a split second. In a way, he helped us through our thoughts, dreams, items popping up, and situations solving themselves. I think, he was showing God, he was good and needed forgiveness.

He became the one who we confined in when our mothers, fathers and advisors were not around or we didn't feel comfortable to get advice from them. He was there as our grandfather laid dormant in an unmentioned place of the unknown.

So Galvin was our God and we all worshiped him with faith and love, like children who obey their parents without question. I do love him and after hearing the story, I believe I would still love him; which became true – with caution.

Uncle Merlin was sad and wanted to cry, but he remain stone as ice. He had to tell the rest of the story. I could feel his pain and his strength, as it faded away. Why? What was wrong? Why did pain entered the room?

Uncle Merlin got up him his chair and stood in front of the class. His eyes were fixed on me as if he was trying to read my mind and wanted to look into my heart. I stared back at him and what I felt, I started to cry. He was sad. He was confused. He was sick to tell the truth about our race, our kind, and our future. It seemed we were doomed to live a life equal to our great grandfather, but with a sense of some human formalities.

Fire hugged me and gave me a tissue. I wiped my eyes as my last drops of innocent left my body. Uncle Merlin was going to tell us why we were, why we were dark and why we feed on the Normals. I was become a woman; a woman like my great grandfather.

Uncle Merlin continued.

“My children, I know this part by hard. My father was a good man. A honest man. A wonderful father. I love him and what happen was never his fault. It was not his intentions. He is still alive but need to sleep. He needs his inactivity to make himself whole again. He regrets his mistakes, but his mistakes created a wonderful loving family. A family, like no other.

“My father, Eric, your grandfather was a good looking handsome man who loved God and the bible. He was married to God and believed marriage was for the weak and misguided. He believe, you needed to marry God and sacrifice his own needs for the Lord. He was Puritan and came to this country to save himself from the English religious nonsense. In England, you were not free to worship who or whatever you wanted. You lived and died for the monarchy. Queen Mary was the worst and then Queen Elizabeth tried to have some kind of religious freedom, but it was no use. People who are taught without asking why, are the most closed minded people in the world. They are the people who are the most dangerous.

“Eric taught in the church, in his new land. He became a religious teacher at the age of 14 years old. Without a mother or father, he was forced to relay on his own merit. I don't know what happen to his parents but it doesn't matter.

“He taught every Sunday and lived the way of the bible. He worked as a farmer and carpenter. America was more primitive then England, but had light and you could feel the freedom of the country. The natives had mixed feelings about the new comers, but what could you do; their land was being discovered by white faces who brought their culture and diseases.

“My father had thick wavy black hair and kind baby blue eyes, he was handsome and kind. Clive has his charm, I have has smarts, Erika has his stern leadership, Bryan has his thirst for knowledge, Elisabeth has his innocent and Spirit has his rebel personality.”

We all looked at him. Spirit. Why Spirit? Spirit was a playful pain in the ass and drama Queen. What made Spirit so more special then the rest?

I didn't know.

Every Sunday, Eric preached from the stage about God's laws, love and to obey. And every Sunday a family would come to listen to him speak. This family was Olyvia's family; your grandmother's family. Olyvia, my mother didn't understand the meaning behind religion and thought it was waste of time. Down to this day, she still doesn't know why her parents came to the new world, all she knows, she was born on American soil. She was the first generation of Americans. She didn't know at that time who special she was. Elisabeth and Clive has her persona. Only if my sister believed in herself, she can be great and mighty, but unfortunately her offspring have found it instead.”

Trinity and Tyler looked at Uncle Merlin with disgust. They wanted him to die. I would have not been surprise if they had a hit on him.

“Every Sunday evening after church, Eric would eat at someone house. I was usually a family who loved him as speaker and his knowledge for the bible. But, there was something, Eric never could control his feelings.”