By Aliya Leigh

By Aliya Leigh
http://www.aliyaleigh.com
Twitter: @aliyaleigh

Shadow Creatures

TWENTY FIVE
My mother appears without warning.

"What is going on?"  My mother asks with her stone cold voice without any emotion.

My grandmother change back into her snobbish proper self and even fix her hair without looking in a mirror.  She is so proper and perfect, I never saw her without flaw, as if she woke up looking like Barbie Doll and had her clothes, hair and emotion tattooed on.

She smiles at my mother with your devious grin; something I have never seen before. I am so happy my family can see this event because now I have proof my grandmother is more than meets the eye.  I can see her in a different light, more so than now. She's a person, just like me, but with something to hide; which is feelings.

One thing, I don't get and maybe I will never get is, why the lack of emotion and the silence that makes up our family. The only people who are the most colorful and outspoken is Uncle Clive and Spirit; everyone else is hiding in the shadows waiting and waiting to see what happens next.

I am wondering, will I turn out to be a freak of natural like my own family or can I bring my family out of the shadows into the light.

I close my eyes and drown out all the noise. I'm silence without movement. I want to feel. I want to understand why we are the way we are.

I look at other families and I feel the warmth and love - something crave  for me.  I want to feel love and at peace, but to me; it's a sin. Everything is a sin to God our Father, but is eating the Normals a sin?
We eat the Normals bodies and drink their blood as if we are eating at an expensive restaurant own by Wolfgang Puck or Gordon Ramsey. We don't think twice about our prey or our meal, but why do we eat them, as they eat chicken, beef and vegetables. Are we better than they are? Are we higher on the food chain then they are?  If so, why?

I feel like a hypocrite in my own skin.  I need to follow the bible, but I have to be myself in order to live.  Why am I made this way?  Why can't I die?

As I see Eric getting heal by a strange thing in his soul and Simon Peter fading in the shadows to his lower realm of a closet size bedroom.  I look as an outsider of this whole family mayhem; which I am born into.
Spirit is making jokes, Uncle Clive is using his Buddha sayings, my mother is talking like an Army General in battle, Uncle Merlin trying hard to calm the nonsense, as everyone is watching and listening.

I want to get away from the mess and the drama.  I look at my brother and he looks at me. In a quarter of a second, he is gone.

A tear runs down my cheek because I did something stupid, but it needed to be done. I wish, I didn't have to do it, but I did. My best friend in the world is now a stranger to me. She's now my enemy instead of my confidant.  My brother and I are forbidden to talk because of a sin my grandfather started a long time ago. So now, I'm all alone in a world I can't understand.

My life is bleak and I hope it gets better for my sake.  I wish, I never knew what happen in the past, but the past always has a way to creep into the present.

I look at Aunt Megan and she's not all there as if she's keeping a special secret in her own mind and I can see her heart jumping for joy. A glow of love and passion surrounds her and she looks at Max.

Max is getting sicker and sicker.  His skin is paler than usual, his eyes are dead instead of being alive.  He looks like a walking and breathing corpse with darkness embed in his skin.

As we grow into the new generation of monsters, Max stands out like the ugly ducking with anger and rage.  He's getting unstable by the Normal minute and I don't know what to do or what to say.

My gut tells me to float away in the shadows and look at the events which are about to happen.  I don't know what will happen, but I will find out soon.

If being a Shadow Creature is a wonderful thing, why do I feel like shit?

But, as I look at Aunt Megan, something is NOT right.